Moving your herd to a new farm

When you move your herd to a new farm, as the Person in Charge of Animals (PICA), you must make sure all your NAIT and TBfree records are updated. This way your herd's movements can be traced for disease management and biosecurity purposes.

Before you move your herd

Whether you're a herd owner or sharemilker, make sure:

  • all your animals have NAIT tags and are registered in NAIT
  • you complete an Animal Status Declaration (ASD) form
  • you prepare a Declaration to Livestock Transporter (DLT), if your transporter asks for it.

Contact us to:

  • register a new NAIT location number for the property you're moving to — your current NAIT location number can't move with your herd
  • update your TBfree records
  • register any new grazing blocks you're in charge of
  • re-assign any unused tags so you can use them at your new farm.

TB testing

If you're in a TB Movement Control Area (MCA), book a pre-movement TB test for the herd — this must be done within 60 days before they move.

After you've moved your herd

After the animals have moved to your new location:

  • complete the stock movement to your new location in NAIT
  • enter separate movements in NAIT for any animals you've sold or sent for grazing
  • give your new NAIT location number to anyone who completes transactions of your behalf — for example, stock agents, the LIC or CRV — and assign them access to your NAIT account as information providers
  • update your NAIT account with your new contact details
  • ensure your old NAIT location number has been de-registered — you can call us to arrange this.

If animals are not moving with you

If you're finishing up a job or moving to a new farm, but the herd you were managing is staying at its current location, you may need to make some changes in NAIT.

The farm you're leaving

If you're the registered Person in Charge of Animals (PICA), you can re-assign the NAIT location number to the new manager or PICA by completing a NAIT PICA change application form.

If the herd is sold or disbanded, make sure:

  • the movements are recorded in NAIT, and
  • the NAIT number is de-registered.

Your new farm

If you move jobs to take charge of animals on another farm, as the new PICA for those animals you can apply to have the existing NAIT location number assigned to you. Complete the NAIT PICA change application form and phone us to help you make the change.

Update TBfree information

When you contact us about changes to the PICA, we will also update the registered TBfree herd information so that we have the correct information for TB testing purposes.

Buying animals

New herds

If you establish a new herd, you need to:

  • register a new NAIT location
  • register the herd for TB testing, and
  • after the animals you've bought have arrived, record in NAIT that you received them.

Introducing new animals to a herd

If you're adding new animals to your herd, you must record the movement in NAIT. If you've moved to a new farm, make sure the movement is recorded to the NAIT number at the new location.

If you don't update NAIT

Keeping information up to date in NAIT is important for tracing animals for both disease management and biosecurity.

If you forget to update your NAIT records and keep using your old NAIT number, your movements will be for the wrong farm which makes tracing a lot harder. If you forget to update your records, call our Contact Centre as soon as possible so they can help put things right.

Getting help with Moving Day

You can phone or email us with any problems getting your NAIT and TBfree information up to date.

DairyNZ offers helpful advice with all your other arrangements.