Some cattle and deer don't need to be tagged before you move them off your property.

Bobby calves

Bobby calves are calves less than 30 days old that are sent to a meat processor from their birth farm. You don't need to tag or register these animals when sending them off farm.

All other calves need to be tagged and registered with NAIT, and their movements recorded.

Fallow deer

Fallow deer don't need to be tagged and registered, but you need to provide an annual tally of the fallow deer at your location. Untagged fallow deer can move between farms, but you must still record an exempt movement in NAIT.

Trophy stags

Trophy stags don’t need to be tagged and registered if they’re born at a game estate, wildlife park or zoo, although you need to provide an annual tally of trophy stags at your location.

If you send trophy stags from a game estate, safari park, or zoo to another property and they are not too dangerous to tag, you must tag and register them, and create a sending movement in NAIT before you move them.

If you receive tagged deer at a game estate, safari park or zoo you must get our permission before removing any tags.

Unsafe to tag (UTT) animals

Animals that are large or aggressive and present a risk to the Person in Charge of Animals (PICA) or other farm staff may be considered UTT for NAIT purposes. You can only move UTT animals to an accredited meat processor. The only exception to this are trophy stags, which can also be moved to another game estate, safari park or zoo.

How to declare UTT animals exempt

UTT animals are exempt from tagging if you:

  • declare them by recording a UTT movement in your NAIT account before you move the animal
  • clearly mark them with a red X so they can be identified by the meat processor or inspectors
  • pay a UTT levy of $13 (plus GST) for each UTT animal — this will be deducted by the meat processor.

Meat processors may also charge additional fees associated with the risks of handling UTT animals.

Information you need to record a UTT movement

To declare an animal as UTT you need to provide the:

  • NAIT location number of:
    • the property the animals are moving from
    • the meat processor, game estate, safari park or zoo the animals are moving to
  • exact number of UTT animals in the movement
  • the animals' gender, breed and approximate age
  • the date you're sending the animals.

If you're using a livestock transporter, note any UTT animals when you fill out a Declaration to Livestock Transporter (DLT).

If your animals are not exempt and have no tag

It's an offence under the NAIT Act to move animals without an exemption.

If you send animals to a meat processor without a tag or a UTT exemption, they must declare this when they update their NAIT records. The normal slaughter levy of $0.50c (plus GST) applies to these animals. Your meat processor may also charge additional fees for untagged animals as they lose revenue from animals that aren't eligible for export markets.

Tags lost in transit

If you notice a high number of your tagged animals arriving at the meat processor untagged, we recommend scanning them as they leave your farm. We can update the NAIT records for you.

Call or email us so we can update your NAIT records. This way you'll avoid possible investigations for untagged animals, although we can't arrange a refund of fees you've paid to the meat processor.